Hommus: Erin style
Author: Erin Brooks
Recipe type: Appetiser
- : Double this recipe for a large gathering.
- 2 cans chickpeas (you could cook them from scratch but that sounds like hard work)
- juice of 1 decent sized lemon
- 2 tbspns tahini
- 2 tspns of cumin, ground
- 1 tspn smokey paprika
- 1 tbspn olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1.5 cups cashews (if you've got a choice go with unsalted, it means you have more control over your seasoning)
- salt & pepper to taste
- In a food processor add the chickpeas and their canning liquid. Blend for a couple of minutes until fluffy and smooth.
- In a small saucepan slowly, slowly heat the olive oil and garlic. Be careful not to fry the garlic, just cook it til it's fragrant.
- Add garlic, oil and everything else to the bowl and give everything a good blend.
- Taste. Does it need salt? Maybe some pepper? If it's not tart enough add in some more lemon juice.
- Blend again.
- Taste again and adjust seasoning/lemon juice until you are happy with the flavour.
- Put in an airtight container and allow the flavours to develop for at least an hour, longer if you can.
Recipe by she cooks, she gardens at http://shecooksshegardens.com/2011/11/hommus-erin-style/