Middle Eastern Chicken with Saffron & Fennel Salad
Author: Erin Brooks
Recipe type: Main
Cuisine: Clean Eating
Serves: 2 serves
- 1 free-range chicken breast
- olive oil
- salt & pepper
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and finely diced
- 2 oranges - juice 1 orange, peel and roughly chop the other.
- ½ tsp saffron threads
- 1 tbspn honey
- 1 baby fennel bulb, finely sliced
- a handful of fresh basil leaves, roughly chopped
- a handful of fresh mint leaves, roughly chopped
- 1 red chilli, finely diced
- a handful of coriander (cilantro)
- Heat the oven to 200 degrees centigrade.
- Slice chicken horizontally to flatten (but don't cut all the way through).
- Rub the chicken with a little olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Heat a medium-sized frying pan over a medium heat and cook chicken for 2-3 minutes each side.
- Transfer to an oven-safe tray or pan, sprinkle with fennel seeds and garlic.
- Toss well to coat.
- Cook in the oven for approximately 10 minutes, or until cooked through.
- Remove from heat, wrap in foil and set aside to rest.
- Combine the juice of one orange, saffron and honey in a small bowl.
- In a larger bowl combine fennel, chilli, remaining orange, basil, mint and coriander.
- Add half the dressing and toss well.
- Remove chicken from foil and slice.
- To serve arrange salad on plate and top with sliced chicken.
- Pour over remaining dressing and season to taste.
Recipe by she cooks, she gardens at http://shecooksshegardens.com/2015/02/review-munch-mine-new-south-australia-food-venture/