Author: Erin Brooks
Recipe type: Pickle
Serves: 1 litre
- 3 cups carrot, peeled and thinly sliced with a mandolin (about 3-4 large carrots)
- 2 tbspns salt
- 2 cups white vinegar
- 2.5 cups of water
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 1litre jar with lid – hot, clean and sterilised
- Put chopped carrots in a large bowl and sprinkle with salt. Toss through with your hands to coat.
- Leave for 10-15 minutes.
- Prepare your jar by washing first in warm soapy water and then drying in a warm oven set to 150 degrees centigrade.
- Transfer carrots to a large sieve and place over the bowl.
- Using your hands, squeeze out the excess moisture for 3-4 minutes.
- Rinse well and set aside.
- In a saucepan add the vinegar, water and sugar.
- Heat over a low flame and stir until the sugar is dissolved.
- Bring to a gentle boil and remove from the heat.
- Grab hot jar, add the carrots first (I used a jam funnel to make life easy), followed by the brine.
- Seal tightly and allow to cool.
- Once cooled store in the fridge.
Recipe by she cooks, she gardens at http://shecooksshegardens.com/2014/11/pickled-carrots/