Who am I?
My name is Erin Brooks.
I am a professional communicator and have worked extensively with community groups, government and not-for-profit organisations for near on a decade. I have experience in radio production and announcing, interviewing, negotiation and event management.
I am a trainer, an organiser, an advocate and lifelong student.
I am one of the original ‘RHUM crew’ reviewers for Rhum Events & Media and over the years I have written about and photographed many major musical and cultural festivals such as the Big Day Out, Laneway and the Adelaide Fringe.
I have worked in community radio, hosting and producing content for Radio Adelaide’s ‘Your Rights at Night‘ program.
I was part of the organising committee for 2012’s Eat.Drink.Blog conference.
I am passionate about food, where it comes from and what we do with it.
I believe that everything we eat should be as close to natural as possible. The less food we get from a packet, the better. We bake our own bread, we grow and share produce and cook as much as possible from scratch. This philosophy has helped me maintain a healthy lifestyle and has inspired a lifelong fascination with food.
I believe it is important to support local growers and eat by the seasons, the produce not only tastes better, it is better for you and the environment. It is for this reason that I buy my fresh produce at the local farmers market and support organic food delivery schemes such as Keane’s Organic Food.
I am a keen gardener with an ever improving green-thumb. If you’ve ever tasted a tomato picked fresh from the vine you will know what I am talking about. If you don’t, then it’s not too late to start.
I love to travel and have experienced a world of food and different cuisines. I am fascinated by the history of eating and drinking and the role it has played in the development of modern society.
I write regularly here at ‘she cooks, she gardens’ about food, gardening and things of that nature.
She cooks, she gardens started out as a fun way to share recipes with friends and family in April 2011 and has blossomed into something so much more. I have an engaged group of followers and use social media to promote my own work and that of those I admire.
- My recipes and photographs have been featured on Tastespotting, Foodgawker, Healthy Aperture, Knapkins, Stuffed Pepper, Tasteologie and Finding Vegan.
- I have worked with chef Mel Haynes from ‘The Food. The Science. The People.’, running a ‘locavore’ cooking class. The event was a sell out and received great feedback.
- Sumptuous magazine described my blog as ‘inspirational’.
- I have worked with the Australian Mushroom Growers Association as part of Mushroom Mania.
- I was on the organising committee for Eat.Drink.Blog 2012.
- My recipes have featured in InDaily and GRAM Magazine and The Huffington Post.
- She cooks, she gardens is ‘certified Yummly!‘ and my recipes have been featured on the Yummly! blog.
If you’d like to work with me or chat about an idea please feel free to contact me via email at erin (@) shecooksshegardens.com. For more information please check out this page.