≡ Menu

Peppermint Patties – Foodie Secret Santa

Peppermint Patties | she cooks, she gardens
76 Flares Filament.io 76 Flares ×

Every now and then I have one of those moments where I wonder how it is possible that I’ve managed to get out of bed and tie my shoes in the morning, let alone work, and do all those other things that I manage to fill my day with. I had one of those moments the other day, allow me to tell you my tale of woe.

A month or two ago, I received an email from Claire, a regular here and creator of the always fab ‘Claire K Creations’. Claire is a bit of a fan of Christmas, in fact I think it’s safe to say that she has a serious Christmas addiction. Her email was an invitation to take part in a round of foodie Secret Santa.

Foodie Secret Santa button

Now don’t get me wrong. It’s not that I’m a total Grinch; I just don’t really get ‘into Christmas’. Well, that’s a lie. I actually love Christmas, I wear a flashing Santa hat on the 25th, I bake and buy pressies – all that jazz. But we don’t have a tree or decorations, I don’t send Christmas cards and I have never (nor will I ever) owned a Christmas cd. The last time I participated in a Secret Santa would have been when I was about ten years old, I recalled having enjoyed myself thoroughly but that’s about it.

With this in mind I thought ‘why not?!’ and quickly signed up. Then we went on our trip and I immediately forgot all about it. Cut to TWO DAYS before the gifts are due to go out and I’m all in a tizz about what I’m going to make. I’d had my eye on this recipe for Peppermint Patties since last year and again thought to myself ‘why not?!’. I stayed up really late one night and made these darling little things and the next morning I packaged them up and sent them off on their merry way.

To Queensland (and Victoria). In the middle of summer.

To add insult to injury I kind of missed the point of the exercise being that the gift was supposed to be a surprise, the sender of which, ahem, was meant to be, well, you know… a secret. So I promptly signed my name on the card and even chucked in one of my fancy new business cards for good measure.

Peppermint Patty's | she cooks, she gardens

Yeah, I’m a bit of a dill. It’s OK, I can take it.

Commence a week (or so) of fretting about how my box of chocolate would fare on the journey to (basically) outer space in what would naturally be searing, desert hot heat. On Monday morning I awoke, bolt upright, at about 2am worried that I was going to be the cause of The Great Christmas Botulism Outbreak of 2013. It was a harrowing few days, let me tell you.

And then this:

clare_twitter

Success! It sounds as though my little peppermint babies at least made it safely to Clare in Victoria.

Oh, but then there was this:

Via @OrgasmicChef - http://www.orgasmicchef.com

Via @OrgasmicChef – http://www.orgasmicchef.com

The ‘chocolate turd’ is a very apt (and polite) description of what ended up in poor Maureen’s mailbox. She assures me that they still tasted very good, so that’s a bonus. But next year, I’ll be making a spice rub.

Merry Christmas!!

Check out the original recipe over at Oh Nuts!

Peppermint Patty's | she cooks, she gardens

{ 16 comments… add one }

• Maureen | Orgasmic Chef December 17, 2013, 9:51 pm

I’m laughing so hard I’m crying. I have to tell you that your peppermint patties are all gone. We ate the lot! If you slice into it, it’s really clever. It’s a new idea. :) Thank you so much for my gift and you have no idea how much we needed a laugh that day. Dementia, alzheimers, aged care facility – really crap week for our family. Now aren’t you glad it melted? :)

• Erin B December 18, 2013, 10:05 am

Aw Maureen, I’m really sorry to hear you’re going through all of that at the moment. My nan was in a similar boat a couple of years ago, I will never forget how tough it was on everyone. I’m really pleased to hear I was able to bring a smile to your faces, take care.xx

• The Life of Clare December 18, 2013, 5:07 am

They were delicious! The thought hadn’t even crossed my mind about how they’d travel in heat, but that’s hilarious! I had been thinking about making something similar, but didn’t. There’s so many wonderful foodie gifts out there! Thank you.

• Erin B December 18, 2013, 10:06 am

You’re very welcome, Clare! I’m so relieved they made it to you in one piece. Your little pressies were wonderful, thanks so much – I particularly loved the almond brittle.

• Karen (Back Road Journal) December 18, 2013, 6:11 am

After reading Maureen’s post and your comment about the peppermint patties, I just had to stop by and say introduce myself and say “hello”. The two of you were so funny and gave me a real chuckle. Your patties sound terrific in either form. :)

• Erin B December 18, 2013, 10:08 am

Hi Karen, thanks for stopping by! If you don’t laugh you’ll cry, right? Merry Christmas! :)

• Claire @ Claire K Creations December 18, 2013, 11:03 am

Addicted to Christmas… who? Me? Noooo? Ok maybe a little, no maybe a lot!
    You’re so funny. You do realise you’ve just given yourself away for next year too? :-)
    These look like something I would devour in one sitting. Oh how I love chocolate and mint together!

• Erin B December 19, 2013, 10:53 am

Hehe, thanks Claire – I really suck at this, don’t I? :P

• Dina December 18, 2013, 12:18 pm

they look yummy!

• Lisa the Gourmet Wog December 18, 2013, 5:06 pm

oh Erin! A chocolate turd?!! bahahahahhaha too funny!! Seems mine was a ‘orange and chocolate turd’ then lol.

• Erin B December 19, 2013, 11:22 am

Haha, yep! I believe that is what Maureen called it. At least they made it ok.

• Kyrstie@A Fresh Legacy December 19, 2013, 7:28 pm

You made me laugh too Erin, I am so glad that I am no the only person who refuses to EVER own a Christmas music CD. After years in retail I can not stand to listen to Christmas music. Your Peppermint Patties though, they sound heavenly, melted or not, peppermint choc is peppermint choc it doesn’t matter. Yours do look particularly gorgeous in the pictures though so I can sympathise that you would be a little disappointed that the weather stole their beauty. They remind me of the mint patties my nan used to eat and her fav way to do that was to dunk them in her cup of tea so really in my mind they are meant to be a little melted anyway :-) Have a fabulous Christmas. x

• Hotly Spiced December 19, 2013, 9:01 pm

Good on you for taking part, Erin. I think your peppermint patties look absolutely gorgeous but yes, the heat! Someone sent me something chocolatey as well and yep, it looked just like Maureen’s gift! I was so worried the jars would smash! I think next year I’ll put a lot more thought into what travels well! xx

• Fran @ G'day Souffle' December 22, 2013, 2:06 pm

It’s funny that something so fine-looking as your peppermint patties could wind up eventually as ‘chocolate turds!’

• JJ - 84thand3rd December 24, 2013, 7:51 pm

Oh what an adventure – at least they started out looking simply lovely ;D My biggest concern was that my jars (the only ones I could find last minute) of syrup would flip open and spill everywhere – some string and lots of cling wrap later I kept my fingers crossed until I saw them float across IG safe and sound! Merry x-mas!