This kind of weather seems to have an inescapable impact on me. Each year, like clockwork, as the days become shorter, the light more filtered and the climate cooler, I find myself sneaking back into a fog of poor sleep and grumpiness.
I’m sure there is a medical explanation for all of this but I tend to think of it as being symptomatic of winter. I don’t enjoy being cold. I often hear people talk about how lovely it is at this time of the year, how they love to curl up in front of a fire with a good book and a pot of warm tea. It just doesn’t do it for me, I’m not going to lie.
Everything takes longer in winter and my toes are almost always frozen. I hate how long it takes for the washing to dry, how cold the water is when you wash your hands and how one can go days without seeing sunlight.
Boo to winter! I am done with you now.
I have been playing around with this dish for a while now; variations are easy depending on what you have on hand. This is very much a ‘clean out the cupboard and grab some stuff from the garden’ type meal. The most important point being that it is all done in a single pan.
There is no need to boil water and cook the gnocchi separately (though you can certainly do so if you prefer), you can simply pan fry until golden and then cook it off in the sauce.
I use store-bought gnocchi from a local vendor (Vella Pasta – not sponsored!) but if you’re feeling particularly productive then you can always make your own (Kyrstie over at A Fresh Legacy has an excellent how-to over on her blog).
I just love how nourishing this dish is, loaded with vegetables and just a little bit creamy from the cheese; it will certainly warm you up – maybe even your toes.
- 300g pre-made gnocchi
- 1 tbspn rice bran oil
- 3-4 brown mushrooms, roughly chopped
- ½ tspn minced garlic
- 1 tspn fresh thyme, finely chopped
- 1 red chilli, seeds removed and finely chopped
- 1 carrot, grated
- ½ tin of diced tomatoes
- ½ tin of white beans
- 1 cup of kale, cut into small ribbons – woody stems removed
- ½ cup vegetable stock
- ½ cup grated tasty cheese
- A couple of sprigs of fresh parsley, roughly chopped.
- Salt & pepper to taste
- In a large skillet, heat the oil and pan-fry the gnocchi until golden brown and just starting to soften.
- Remove to a plate and set aside.
- Add the mushrooms to the pan with a pinch of salt.
- Cook for a few minutes until moisture released and they’ve started to soften.
- Add the garlic, thyme and chilli.
- Cook for a couple of minutes until fragrant and then add the carrot.
- Cook until the carrot is soft (a couple of minutes) and then add the tomato, white beans, stock and gnocchi.
- Stir well to combine and then pop the lid on for a couple of minutes and bring to a boil.
- Add the kale and stir through.
- Sprinkle the cheese over the top of everything and put the lid back on for a couple of minutes until the cheese is melted.
- Turn off the heat, garnish with fresh parsley and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with lashings of fresh parmesan.