≡ Menu

Grilled Zucchini Pizza

zucchini pizza | she cooks, she gardens
1.5K Flares Filament.io 1.5K Flares ×

November has been a crazy month at our place. Earlier in the month we had Eat.Drink.Blog. which was all-consuming, a couple of weeks later Paul’s sister got married in a beautiful ceremony down at McLaren Vale. To say that I’m feeling a little worse for wear at the moment is a bit of an understatement. The Christmas break cannot come soon enough as far as I’m concerned, I’m looking forward to lots of sleep, some gardening and catching up on some much-needed ‘me time’. I took a bit of time out from all things blogging last week to recoup, clean my house and catch up on some sleep. It felt good to be able to relax and recharge, cook with reckless abandon (!) and just generally switch off.

zucchini pizza | she cooks, she gardens

I thought I would bring you this little ‘pizza’ I threw together for lunch last week using the first of the zucchini harvest for this season. It is simple and delicious, ‘cooked’ under the grill on an unseasonably hot November afternoon. Things are going tremendously well in my garden at the moment, I can’t quite believe it. We had our first forty degree day (that’s about 104F for those in the states) here last week and I was anxious to see how everything would go. Previously when the weather got this crazy I would be out watering every couple of hours and the tomatoes just never seemed to recover. This time around I topped up the reservoir in the morning and arrived home to lush green plants, thriving in the heat in a way I was not expecting, it is really exciting to see just how effective this method of gardening has been for a busy person like myself.

zucchini | she cooks, she gardens

To re-create this pizza at home simply spread a sandwich wrap with some hummus and then layer on your toppings of choice. I’ve been experimenting with lemon myrtle, an Australian native herb, since bringing home a sachet of it from the Good Food and Wine show a couple of months ago. It has a wonderful aroma that pairs well with savoury flavours. A similar alternative might be lemon verbena or lemon thyme – though it won’t be the same.

4.0 from 2 reviews
Grilled Zucchini Pizza

Prep time
Cook time
Total time

A quick and easy pizza that can be cooked under the grill.
Author:
Recipe type: Pizza
Serves: 1
Ingredients
  • 1 wholemeal wrap
  • 2 tbspns hommus
  • ½ medium-sized zucchini
  • 1-2 tbspns verjuice (*optional*)
  • 20g feta cheese
  • 2 tspn sunflower seeds
  • ½ tspn lemon myrtle
  • salt & pepper to taste
  • garnish: snow pea sprouts
Method
  1. Turn on grill.
  2. Lay wrap out flat on an oven tray.
  3. Thinly slice zucchini into coins and, if using, sprinkle over a little oft he verjuice.
  4. Spread out hommus onto the base to cover.
  5. Top with zucchini, a little feta and some sunflower seeds.
  6. Sprinkle a little lemon myrtle over the top and then season with salt and pepper.
  7. Pop under the grill for about 10 minutes, until lightly browned.
  8. Garnish with some snow pea sprouts and serve.

{ 23 comments… add one }

• The Life of Clare December 3, 2012, 10:43 pm

Yum! I’ve never used hommus as a base but I love zucchini on pizza, so I think this would be fabulous! I hope you get some much needed rest time!

• Erin B December 11, 2012, 1:56 pm

Thanks Clare, I have. Hommus makes a nice change from the usual. :)

• Hotly Spiced December 4, 2012, 5:18 am

Your pizza looks beautiful and I love how you presented it with the thinly sliced ribbons of zucchini. It’s been crazy busy up here in Sydney too. Good on you for taking a break. I love lemon myrtle. It give food a great flavour xx

• Erin B December 11, 2012, 1:58 pm

Thank you, Charlie – I used the dreaded mandolin, even though I’ve given myself serious injuries with it in the past, nothing beats the thinly sliced magic it makes.

• Grant Nowell December 4, 2012, 7:51 am

Looks quite brilliant and bet it tastes fresh and clean.

• Erin B December 11, 2012, 1:58 pm

Thank you, Grant! It was a lovely, light lunch – the verjuice gives it a lovely, crisp flavour.

• Claire @ Claire K Creations December 4, 2012, 9:16 am

I bought lemon myrtle at the Food and Wine Show too Erin I must have been destined to make this. I hope the little re-charge lasts you out until Christmas break. Off to water my garden as it’s 39 here today and no clever watering system here.

• Erin B December 11, 2012, 2:02 pm

Oh no! I hope everything held up ok, I read about your hot weather last week, sounds most unpleasant.

• Paul - The Kind Little Blogger December 4, 2012, 10:42 am

Hommus as a pizze base? Why not! I’m going to give it a shot. :)

Looks yummy!

• Erin B December 11, 2012, 2:05 pm

Thanks Paul, I hope you like it! :)

• Jane @ Shady Baker December 4, 2012, 12:51 pm

This looks very tasty Erin…love zucchini season!

• Miss Piggy December 4, 2012, 6:03 pm

That looks wonderful – and so simple! What type of zucchini is that – looks much nicer than mine…which have sort of gone “OK”, but not really.

• Erin B December 11, 2012, 2:30 pm

It is a white zucchini or ‘blanco longo’ from the Digger Club. They are great for stuffing as they can be hollowed out quite easily.

• afracooking December 10, 2012, 12:28 am

Love the idea of using hummus – must try it!

• e / dig in hobart December 10, 2012, 11:14 am

great idea – can’t wait for zucchini season to kick off here! though ask me that when i’m dealing with foot-long monsters that have been hiding under the bushes ;-)

• Erin B December 11, 2012, 3:14 pm

hehe, love those little ‘surprises’, they are brilliant stuffed for what it’s worth. :)

• Julie December 11, 2012, 8:46 am

Love the sound of this recipe. And I just happen to have lots of zucchini growing too!

• Elizabeth H. April 4, 2013, 2:18 am

How long in the oven since I don’t own a grill? Just until the wheat wrap is browned how I want it? What a good idea to use hummus!

• Erin B April 4, 2013, 9:12 am

Hey Elizabeth, yep I would go with that – maybe 5-10 minutes in a hot oven?

• Marti June 22, 2013, 10:01 am

Under the grill? Normally things are placed on top of the grill’s grate, over the heat source – please explain. Also, what is verjuice?

• Erin B June 22, 2013, 4:07 pm

Hi Marti, I suspect we might have different understandings of what a grill is. In Australia a griller is the element in the top of the stove (sometimes a seperate compartment) that cooks things quickly – I think you might call it ‘broiling’ in the States?

Verjuice is a bit like vinegar but lighter. It is made from the juice of unripe grapes and we’re very lucky here in South Australia to be able to buy it locally. You can substitute white wine vinegar or even leave it off if you’d prefer.

• Marti June 24, 2013, 7:03 am

Well that explains that! I’ve got all the fixins’ and the griller too! Sounds delish and I will definitely be trying this! Thanks a bunch!

• Erin B June 24, 2013, 11:14 am

Great! You’re welcome, Marti – enjoy. :)