Just a quick recipe tonight to show you how I’ve been using the onion jam I posted earlier in the week.
I used some excellent Careme sour cream shortcrust pastry, the last of the Pink Lady’s from Kalangadoo, rocket and rosemary from the garden and some Nuage Blanc from BD Farm Paris Creek.
This would be lovely served as an appetiser or even in little bite size offerings at a party.
- 1 sheet shortcrust pastry
- 1 tspn olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 pink lady apple, thinly sliced
- 5-6 chunky slices of brie or nuage blanc cheese
- 1-2 tspns of
- onion jam
- 10 walnuts, broken into smaller pieces
- a few sprigs of fresh rosemary (about a teaspoon)
- salt & pepper to taste
- small handful of fresh rocket, torn into small pieces
- Pre-heat oven to 200 degrees celsius.
- Using a sharp knife, lightly score a square frame about 2cm in from the edge of the pastry. Be careful you don't cut all the way through.
- Brush the edge of the pastry with the olive oil, just a light coat.
- Drop the mustard in the centre of the pastry and spread out with the back of the teaspoon.
- Arrange the apple slices around the pastry, leaving gaps for the cheese.
- Arrange the cheese in the gaps between apples.
- Sprinkle the rosemary and walnuts evenly over the top of the apple and cheese.
- Season with a pinch of salt and some fresh ground black pepper.
- Bake in the oven until the edges of the pastry are lightly browned and the cheese is golden and melted.
- Remove from the oven, arrange the rocket evenly over the top of the tart.