This beetroot dip has evolved over the last couple of years, I originally came across the recipe on the back of a tin of beetroot and tweaked and added to it over time. I’m not ashamed to admit that I use canned beetroot here either, it’s much quicker (not to mention tidier!). I use the Golden Circle whole baby beetroot as they are so lovely and sweet. Of course, you could roast or boil your own beets here as well if you are so inclined.
This recipe will make more than enough dip, it’s great for parties as it will literally feed a crowd. If you don’t need to feed a crowd the recipe can be divided by four and it will keep well in the fridge for up to a week.
- 2 x 850g cans whole Baby Beetroot (if you are making a small batch then the 450g can will do). Drain one can and reserve half the liquid from the second can.
- 180g Danish Feta
- 200g Philly Cream Cheese
- 250g Cashews (roasted and unsalted)
- 1 bunch Coriander, roots removed and coarsely chopped
- 2 tspns Cumin
- 1 tspn Chilli Flakes (more if you like a it more heat)
- 1 tbspn Salt
- 1 tbspn Dried Thyme
- Lemon Juice, to taste
- In a food processor with a large bowl, add the beets and half the canning liquid from one can, blend well.
- Add the cashews and blend again. The contents should be thick but moist, if it's too watery drain some of the liquid out (this has only happened to me a couple of times, some cans seem to have more liquid than others for some reason).
- In a mortar and pestle grind cumin, salt, thyme and chilli flakes to a fine powder and then add to the food processor with the remaining ingredients.
- Taste and if you would like the dip a little tartier then add some lemon juice.
- This can be served immediately but tastes much better if the flavours have time to develop over a couple of hours or even overnight.
- Serve with lavosh crackers and enjoy.
For more party food ideas hop on over to my Party Food Special.