Another super simple recipe today. These oven roasted chickpeas can be thrown together in less than 30 minutes and make a great high protein, low-fat alternative to nuts, popcorn and chips. To prepare simply coat the chickpeas in a little oil and spice mix and then roast in an oven for 20 minutes or so until crispy.
Because it’s a short recipe I’ve included the ingredients for the curry powder I used to coat the chickpeas. I make up a batch now and then and store it in a jar for recipes such as these. You can of course use store-bought curry powder or substitute in another flavour; maybe garlic powder or Cajun seasoning – even some salt and a little vinegar would be delicious.
TIP: Make sure your chickpeas are dry before you put them in the oven otherwise they will steam. I put mine in the salad spinner and then left them to dry for ten minutes on a clean tea towel.
- Spice Mix:
- 2 dried chillies
- 1 tbspn of coriander seeds
- 1 tbspn of cumin seeds
- 1 tbspn of fennel seeds
- ½ tspn cardamom
- ½ tspn cloves
- ½ tspn ground cinnamon
- 2 tspns ground turmeric
- Oven-roasted chickpeas
- 1 can of chickpeas. Drained and rinsed
- 1 tbspn olive oil
- 2 tbspns curry powder
- Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees C.
- To make the spice mix:
- Lightly toast all spice mix ingredients except the cinnamon and turmeric over a medium heat until fragrant.
- Grind spices in a mortar and pestle, add the cinnamon and turmeric.
- If you would like a more uniform consistency, sift the powder through a sieve.
- Store in a jar for up to two weeks (you could keep it longer but things will start to go a little stale and you're better off making up a new batch).
- To make the chickpeas:
- In an oven safe roasting tray add the chickpeas, curry powder and oil and shake well to combine.
- Roast for about 20 minutes or until crispy.