If you’ve ever eaten at one of the many fine Chinese restaurants down Adelaide’s famous Gouger Street then it is highly likely you’ve had a plate of BBC. If, like me, you’ve ever had an immense craving for some BBC after a big night out only to find every restaurant closed then today’s dish is definitely for you. I actually came across this recipe a while ago but just never got around to making it. It’s from a promising little website that never seemed to make it off the ground which is a real shame as I think there’d be a whole host of Adelaide foodies (& visitors) who would love to know how to recreate some of their favourite Gouger Street dishes at home.
BBC is a simple vego dish that is basically soy beans, tofu and pickled cabbage – yes, cabbage! Seasoned with garlic, chilli and vegetarian oyster sauce, it takes less than ten minutes to put it all together. I think the hardest part of the recipe was tracking down the cabbage and when I eventually struck gold at Hong Kong Grocery in Chinatown I stocked up accordingly. You’ll get about three serves out of one can and it seems to keep ok for a while in the fridge – at something like 99 cents a can you can’t go wrong, really. Soy beans are relatively easy to come by these days, we can usually get them in the freezer section of our local supermarket. Failing that, you’ll definitely find them at an Asian supermarket with the dumplings and other frozen goods.
I served this up with a couple of Lotus & Ming smokey BBQ pork buns and some steamed rice that I had lightly fried in ginger and garlic before adding to the steamer. The buns were probably overkill as it is quite substantial on its own, but I was hungry and couldn’t resist.
- 2 tablespoons of peanut oil (or similar)
- 3-4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 red chillies, chopped (seeds and ribs removed if you prefer less heat)
- 50g of Pickled Cabbage (I used the Ming Fa brand which comes in a yellow can, piccie at the bottom of the page)
- half a bag of frozen soy beans (approx)
- 1 packet of Nutri-soy spicy marinated Tofu, sliced into bite sized strips
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of caster sugar
- 2 tablespoons of vegetarian oyster sauce
- Heat oil in a large wok.
- Fry the tofu until crispy. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Fry garlic and chilli until lightly browned.
- Add cabbage and stir-fry for another minute or so.
- Add in soy beans and stir-fry for another couple of minutes.
- Add oyster sauce, caster sugar and salt. Stir-fry on high heat for a few minutes until everything starts to caramelise.
- Add tofu back to the pan and cook for a minute or so to reheat.
- Serve on a bed of steamed rice.